The Elephant in the room...



Ok not really, that is a little dramatic but it did occur to me recently that I have referenced my husband's PTSD several times without actually addressing it directly. 

So rather than put words in his mouth, or in this case type my own ideas on things (that can be a whole separate post...) here are his words directly. Hope they clear up a bit more of the journey we are on and help anyone out there who is suffering.

His background is a sad but all too familiar one of giving his life up to serve and help others. Entering a job whilst practically a baby and although he smashed it and was a success in terms of patient treatment and team player the demons he was already exposed to took advantage of the horrors that we only hear or read about. 

Here is his most recent post from his facebook page Racing REHAB.

"Mental Health awareness is front row and centre at the moment and I can safely say
that if you are struggling mentally in Australia there is so much help out there.
Whether it's the Black Dog institute, The Are You OK initiative or the Government
subsidised Mental Health plans you can make a recovery and more importantly be
functional.

What I've learnt is my mental illness is going to be a chronic condition that ebbs and
flows throughout my life. I noticed anxiety and depression in my 20's and PTSD in my
30's. Medication can help in the short term but realistically you need to implement
your own strategies to keep you on the right path. Heavy routines and limiting
exposure to triggers is required initially to stabilise the unpredictability and
volatility. Then you can gradually filter yourself into the world allowing you to
move forward.

I'm 7 months into my rehabilitation and frustration at the "slow" progress becomes a
common emotion. I thought that if I smashed my rehab "giving 150%" it would allow me
to fast track my recovery and more importantly relieve the pain and suffering imposed
from the demon. This isn't the case and unfortunately it exposes you to relapses and
disappointment when it grips you again taking you on the downward spiral. 

Thankfully these days my strategies, support network and professional help limit the
dark time and my family dynamic is benefitting from the positive change. I'm now
able to leave the confines of my house regularly and although it can take 3 or 4
races to settle when I'm at the track the crowds/noise become what it's supposed to
be "ATMOSPHERE". 

The very first Everest at Randwick was a PTSD sufferers nightmare. I pretty much ran
back to the car after Race 10 but successfully navigated my way through the maze of
the day and more importantly "Enjoyed It".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Professional Development day...

Breakfast and a show...

Having a moment...