Birthday week wrap up...

At the start of this week I held a lunch party for my now darling four-year son for his birthday. It was a challenge and I was hosting by myself but I am happy to report that the day was a success! I prepared my little ASDER fairly thoroughly and I think this was the key to a successful day! Yey for listening to our psychologist! My son is really good with remembering instruction lists, so I gave him a run down of how the day was to go. The main thing I was determined to follow was that he opened his presents after lunch. I have witnesses the chaos of ripping into presents and kids wanting everything open to play with and my son can be very protective of his stuff and it is a disaster waiting to happen.

Gem was perfect! He remembered all the rules, waited for all his friends to finish their lunch and after a small hiccup with the bubble wands (you can tell your kid to wait but when there is another impatient child it's game on!) was all ready to go! He thanked everyone with hugs and kisses and agreed to wait until we got home to unwrap the toys!

I think preparing him really helped the day run smoothly and talking him down gently and using eye contact helped avoided a meltdown when the other children are not following his sequence of events. As we always say it’s not about adjusting the world to him, it’s about helping him finds way to adjust to the world!

We had one very spoilt birthday boy with cake on his birthday and a family party on Friday night! He has been very good with rearranging his room to fit all his new toys in.


A tip I use when I need to throw things out (my ASDER has memory longer than mine) is telling him the garbage man took it. In reality this is true, but it good to have a third party to “ blame”.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Professional Development day...

Breakfast and a show...

Having a moment...